28 March, 2006

Easter Eggs Dyed With Onion Skins

My favourite method of decorating Easter eggs is to use onion skins.

I've just added an instructable on how to make Easter Eggs Dyed With Onion Skins. Check it out!

For about ten years now I've been making these kinds of Easter eggs. All through Lent I save up onion skins. Come Good Friday, I wrap them around eggs and boil the whole mess.

Actually it's not messy at all! That's another reason I am so fond of this technique. It's clean, it's easy, and it produces such amazingly beautiful Easter eggs!

Onion skins are perfectly shaped for wrapping around eggs; they have a natural compound curve to them. Another great thing about colouring eggs with onion skins is that it is natural! None of the questionable artificial dyes usually used to decorate Easter eggs. With onion skins you don't have the waste of extra packaging for an Easter egg colouring kit either. Heck, there is no kit to buy! When you are done with the onion skins, you can add them to your compost. That goes for the egg shells too for that matter!

The only other things you need - besides eggs and onion skins - are small squares of cloth. I've been using the same cloths for a decade!

Easter eggs dyed with onion skins would likely make for an incredibly challenging Easter egg hunt!

RICK

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rick! I saw your onionskin easter egg article linked via Makeblog...I thought it was a great idea and since we always have onions around it's much cheaper than buying one of those silly egg dying kits at the store. Anyway it was a lot of fun and I took a picture of how the eggs turned out. Not quite as distinct as yours but still pretty cool:
http://warehouse.carlh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=404

Thanks for the great idea!
- Carl

14 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home